Ebrary is the largest ebook collection at the CPCC Library. It contains the full text of more than 45,000 nonfiction books.
Using ebrary in Accessibility Mode
If you use assistive technologies such as screen readers, ebrary offers accessibility mode for ease of navigation. In accessibility mode, some display pages show more or less detail and check boxes have been adjusted for ease of use.
The default mode is ebrary is the QuickView reader. The QuickView reader display does not include text that can be read by screen readers (such as JAWS). This is true even if you have selected accessibility mode.
To enable the screen reader access for QuickView
- Inform your librarian that you are visually impaired and that you want direct access to the text of ebrary documents with your screen reader. Your librarian will contact ebrary support and request screen reader access for you.
- After ebrary support staff has modified your account, log in with your user name.
- Click on the words “My Settings” at the top right of the page
- Near the bottom of the “My Settings” page look for the heading, “Choose Your Accessibility Mode”
- There is a box next to the words “Display in accessibility mode”
- If this box is not already checked (which it should be) then click on the box to make it checked.
- Under that box are the words “Set Preferences”: click on that.
When you choose to display a document in QuickView, the document content becomes available to the screen reader and can be traversed with the screen reader commands you are accustomed to.
For more information: