In 1949, Carver College was established under the direction of the Charlotte City School Board, offering evening classes for African American veterans returning from the Second World War. Classes were taught in Second Ward High School, located on the corner of Alexander and First Streets.
"Second Ward High School was opened in 1923 as the city's first high school for African American children. Closed in 1969, the school and surrounding neighborhood were bulldozed during urban renewal.”
A plaque, supported by the Second Ward High School National Alumni Foundation, stands in place of the original building.
Carver College served a three-fold purpose in the community:
While mostly veterans attended night classes in the early years of its existence, Carver College eventually saw an increase in the enrollment of non-veteran students seeking greater educational opportunities. By May of 1958, the control of Carver College was transferred to the newly established Charlotte Community College System (which would come to form Central Piedmont less than 10 years later). Under this system, Carver College became locally controlled by Mecklenburg County and received its support from three sources: a tax levy voted by citizens of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, grant-in-aid from the state for operating costs, and tuition from students.
Left: The entrance of Second Ward High School
Right: The Library floor plan of Carver College
Browse through Carver College's Annual Catalogs:
Browse through Carver College's Yearbooks:
Browse through Carver College's Administrative Files: